In 1937 our restaurant began operating under the name “Kikuya”, named after the proprietress Kiku Shinozaki. In 1941 Kikuya began serving eel and in 1947 began operating as an eel specialty restaurant under the name Shinozaki.
The founder, Gentaro Shinozaki preparing the eel. The neighborhood children watched intently as he skillfully uses his knife to filet the eel.
Photos of the restaurant during renovations and of the second generation owner, Seiji Shinozaki.
This photo is from 1959 at a Buddhist “Kuyou” ceremony held at the Asakawa River. The ceremony is still held every year to give thanks and pray that the restaurant can continue to thrive.
Third Generation owner : Kenji Shinozaki
- Received Research Foundation for Food and Culture Award in Japanese Cuisine Category
- Established Unagi Shinozaki Kichijoji
- Appointed as a yearly Guest Lecturer at Hattori Nutrition College
- Became Representative Director of Unagi Shinozaki Hachioji Corp.
- Trained at Tsukiji Tamura, Including catering for members of the Royal Family
- Graduated from Hattori Nutrition College
- Graduated from Chuo University College of Business Administration
For delivery please use Uber Eats.
We also accept take-out and limited area delivery orders
(by phone Japanese only, thank you for your understanding).